Wednesday, March 05, 2008

■ I'll never sketch in my life!

"I will never ever sketch in my life!" I swore that in the name of Sridevi when I was a kid (back then Sridevi ruled all over my adolescent heart, currently Katrina and Drew Barrymore share a joint account).

I cud sense that my mother had plans running in the back of her mind to add 'value' to my as such worthless life. During a usual gossip session with next door neighbor Mrs. Sen, mom learnt that her daughter was going for singing lessons. She became determined as ever and I ended up getting enrolled in a drawing course!

Wondering whats bad with a drawing course? well,even my grey cells weren't developed enough to foresee the fact that my classes were scheduled on sundays. 'SUNDAYS' were as important to me as election day to Obama! A regular morning on those days would go me firmly glued with the idiot box.

Hell broke loose. My mom was now between me and my weekly dose of much awaited pure joy! I pleaded for mercy, was out right rejected in 'high court'. Only hope now left was the Supreme Court! I build up my case, pointed out that it will affect my studies and all other reasons that my 'chota sa dimaag' could think of! To my horror the verdict went against me! I cried loud, cried hard, cried while eating, while sleeping but could not move the lady! Injustice was done to the minority!


The day arrived, was accompanied by mother to the institute. I was not the only one serving the sentence. A bunch of toddlers were also victim of the injustice. The pain and sorrow was visible. Back then If Aamir Khan wud have planned for his directorial debut with TZP, I wud have been the most suitable candidate!

I missed Mickey mouse, TaleSpin, DuckTales, Tom n Jerry to name a few! While the fortunate ones watched He-Man (my fave till date, I had the He-Man toy from Mattel and worshiped it!), I was left to make circles and lines. I will never ever forget those miserable days.




It was not before long that the squares I drew, started having four sides, cows got four legs, birds which were tired flying were given legs to rest, the desert started having palm tree in place of the coniferous pine and kids got five fingers, even the missing nose.

Honest enough, the magnificent portraits by Jack Dawson, the character played by Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic inspired me for figure sketches. I have come a long way now with the aversion finally turning to a passion. I njoy my sketches. Gratitude to my dad who has constantly supported me, my art teacher for his patience of teaching this 'Fardeen Khan' to 'act' and specially to my mother for shoving me to the art institute - thanx Maa.

9 Comments:

Leela Manoranjan said...

That's a nice write up man....

Also those are real nice graphite's

Krish said...

thanx leela!
appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

I remember, you were telling me all thats on this post.

When will you sketch one fr me?

Phani

Krish said...

well I was honest to the best extent

mayank said...

abhi tak to Drew ko tere heart mein Resident Status mil gaya hoga!!

Anonymous said...

Hey... Simple, sweet & well written blog.. U succeeded 100% in expressing wht u wished to :) Feeling so proud of ur sketches and now...of ur writings tooo

Nisha

Intuitive exploration said...

Say thanks to your Mom on my behalf! She has done a wonderful job of coaxing you and I am sure she must be very proud of the work you are doing. Engaging writing style!!

Hi everyone... said...

..hey all ur wrte up ...brings smile on my face ,,,,its a combo of humour plus ur emotion ...vry rare people have that quality ..gr8 going ..keep it up :)

Unknown said...

ya... thnx 4 makin d budding artist to evolve into a gr8 one..! :) awesome sketches.... lovely... :)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online